About the Cooking Matters Promoter Program
About 60 percent of Bay Area Cooking Matters classes are taught by trained adult and youth Community Health Promoters or promotores de salud. Our Health Promoter program offers community members the opportunity to become leaders in promoting healthy neighborhoods, while providing valuable 8 session trainings in cooking, nutrition, and class facilitation. The training sessions are led by 18 Reasons staff members and experienced Cooking Matters teachers. Each 3-hour session consists of a nutrition lesson, hands-on cooking, and instruction on how to teach Cooking Matters classes. Health Promoters who successfully complete the training go on to teach Cooking Matters classes and lead Cooking Matters at the Store tours in their communities.
Who are Cooking Matters Health Promoters?
18 Reasons Promoters are at the heart of our work. In the Cooking Matters Classes they serve as Chefs and Nutritionists, in the community they work together with other promoters and organizations within their community as a resource. They are leaders in their community passionate about improving the health of their community. They can connect with our participants because the yshare a linguistic and cultural background with the participants in classes they teach.. A promoter is someone that other community members seek out for advice, support and help.
Promoters are low-income community members who have not had access to formal education in the culinary and nutrition fields, but who maintain a passion and desire to change the health of their community through nutrition education. Promoters have personal connections with organizations and individuals interested in hosting/attending Cooking Matters classes.
What are the benefits of becoming a Cooking Matters Health Promoter?
- Be an important voice in the community
- Support families to live healthier lives
- Become a leader and educator in the community
- Professional development
- 18 Reasons cannot offer a salary but we offer a stipend at the end of every Cooking Matters Series.
How to become a Cooking Matters Health Promoter:
1. Apply to participate in a Health Promoter Training (see dates for upcoming trainings below).
2. Attend a CM Health Promoter Orientation session.
3. Successfully graduate from the 8-session training.
4. Work with 18 Reasons staff to sign up to teach classes in your community!
ONGOING+UPCOMING HEALTH PROMOTER TRAININGS
Meet one of our Health Promoters!
Aprieta aqui para español